Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Funny Student Story


I have always thought I should keep some sort of journal about the funny things my students do and say, so here is the first entry....
....a couple of days ago, I was standing in the hallway talking to a parent when her son, Benny, walked up.

He freezes and says, "oh my gosh...who is wearing Satsuma?" (The lotion I had just put on!!) Mind you, Benny is in 4th grade.

I was like, "oh, that's me."

Benny responds with, "Don't you love it, Mrs. Young? I have the same kind. Have you ever been to Larchmont Beauty Supply?? Because you would love it. They have the best scents and you can even create your own!!"

This wasn't totally out of character for Benny considering he is the only boy in the after school Jazz class and is usually seen on the yard braiding the girls' hair, but even most girls at that age don't recognize such smells and things! What a funny kid! :)

10 comments:

Lorilee said...

Sounds like a cute kid. Also sounds like he might be a little light in the loafers. Maybe he can give you some hair or shopping tips. :)

derrickfam said...

Thanks for posting that mariss! You need to FOR SURE write all those down. They are hilarious.

Paige said...

I love satsuma..I could pick it out in a crowd, but wow...A fourth grader? And a boy? That is hilarious.

Morgan said...

That is rad. I totally miss those funny experiences with the kiddies. That after school program rocked...getting paid to take kids to the swimming pool...those were the days.

aSHleY said...

I love that story. Keep them coming.

David said...

i hope benny's parents aren't planning on any grand kids from him.

Emily said...

Do you watch Ugly Betty? Because what you described sounds exactly like the character Justin on the show! Anyway, I can't believe he can pick out a scent...that's a talent!

Taylor said...

just found your blog...love it!

Jamie Sampson Photography said...

I LOVE Benny! I knew I wasn't the only "a little bit different" kid in school.

At my elementary... and junior high... and high school parent teacher conferences, the teachers would tell my Mom and Dad, Jamie marches to the beat of a different drummer, or Jamie is a unique individual, or we sure do appreciate Jamie's one of a kind comments in class... translation Jamie is a little bit special.

So to all of those a little bit special and unique kids out there! Rock on!

Please post more of these stories! I love fitting in!

And as for Benny, He Kicks Ass, but in fourth grade appropriate language of course!

Unknown said...

Mariss- once again, you've proved you're truly the best story teller. I love 'em, keep 'em coming. Especially the student ones.