Sunday, September 14, 2008

VHA

So, I went to the welcome luncheon for the VHA on Saturday, and I just have to post about what an amazing organization it is! I was a little hesitant at first to go, but I am SUPER glad I did.

The VHA, Vanderbilt Housestaff Aliance, is an organization set up to help spouses/significant others of Vandy medical residents get aquainted with Nashville, meet new friends, get involved with activities and philanthropy, and just to ease the ups and downs of resident life. They totally get that it can be rough, so they do their best to make it more doable.

So, first off, the luncheon was at this amazing country club. I walked in and it was a social hour. They were serving wine and yummy hors d'vours. (I opted for juice.) There were also several tables set up for different activity/interest groups.

I quickly found a group that would be perfect for Lucy and me.
I also signed up for about 5 others!
(Sneakers Walking Group, Scrapbooking, Dining Group, Yahoo Groups, and Service Committee)

Then it was time for lunch, so we went into the dining room. We were organized based on our address, so we could meet other people who live in our neighborhoods.


They had a great presentation--a movie about things to do/see in Nashville, and a few speakers. Then it was time for the all important raffle! And guess who won???

Yep! I totally won--this is my new adorable friend Sara-what a doll!

So, what was in the lovely black and gold sack?

A gift card to the famous Loveless Cafe and some of their tasty preserves, and...

This darling little number!!

I had a super great time and can't wait for the next activity in a couple of weeks--a poolside picnic at the Vice Chancellor's home! Woohoo. Thanks VHA!

8 comments:

Beth Dickson said...

That looks so fun! Nashville must be the new promised land! Abe and I can't wait to come and visit!!!

derrickfam said...

Fun! Good work branching out! That shirt is so awesome.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. When I went to the Martha Stewart show, the owner of Loveless Cafe came and gave us her cook book.

William said...

Bobby Flay did a Biscuit Throwdown with the biscuit lady from the Loveless Cafe (I remember telling Sean about it). True, Bobby won, but evidently her biscuits are awfully good.

Unknown said...

Looks like fun. Now I want to see a picture of you wearing your new shirt.

Karolyn said...

That is so great that they do that for the families of residents. I wish they did something like that for new families of professors. I do meet a lot of people at parks, but it's going to get cold soon.

Lorilee said...

I'm so jealous...
it would be a cold day in hell before UH did something like this... those slackers.

I'm glad you met Sara... she is great, you will love her....in fact I'm not sure if there's anybody who doesn't.

deb said...

Hey Mariss! Just catching up. What a great thing for you! Looks like you guys are having fun in TN.