Saturday, September 20, 2008

Nashville Gas Crisis 2008

Due to Hurricane Ike, we, here in Nashville, have a serious shortage on gasoline! No, Tennessee was not in Ike's path, but we are definitely feeling the effects! There are not enough people working on the oil rigs and refineries in TX right now and that is where Nashville gets most of its gas. Last night we drove past at least 10 gas stations that had run out of gas and saw a few with lines and lines of cars just to get into the parking lots--people were out of their cars trying to direct traffic, and some did not look happy! (See the next 4 pictures--they are a little dark)




We ended up at Costco, where there was a line wrapped clear around the parking lot and up onto the main street. Usually this Costco gas station is dead, you can drive right up to the pump.



Finally, after about a half hour wait, we were able to fill 'er up! They were out of Regular Grade, so they were selling the Premium for the regular price of $3.89. Score! They were also handing out bottled water. We were one of the last cars to get gas before they ran out. I was very impressed and happy with Costco's preparation and organization--they got us through as quickly and orderly as possible. I would have had a panic attack if I had had to battle with other folks trying to fill their tanks.
This experience has made me realize how important it is to be prepared and more self reliant. It also makes me sure that the answer to our oil situation is most definitely NOT:
"Drill, Baby, Drill!"
We need to find alternative energy sources and make a change to how we operate or we are going to be in big trouble! It doesn't matter how much money you have if the resources simply do not exist.
(Not to be political or anything!!! :)

9 comments:

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

Ok, this freaks me out! I am constantly in fear of this very thing. I've been filling up my car when it's half empty. I guess you could call it paranoia? There is no question about it, we need to do something about this crisis.

Justin said...

Wowsers... that IS kinda scary. Makes me glad I live close enough to work to be able to bike there and back, which I started doing recently! I'm with you on the self-reliance idea and developing alternative sources of energy...

Hope you guys are loving Tennessee nonetheless! What a beautiful part of the country.

Bellblogging said...

Wow,crazy!

The cousins look so cute together! I hadn't seen Pat and Lindsey's baby! Kira's cousin is 12 days older and they are best friends! I bet they will have a blast growing up together.

How fun you found a walking group! Looks so pretty out there!

Bonecrusher said...

Yeah, we had no idea about this until Saturday morning. I refused to wait in the Costco line, but we got lucky and the station by our house got gas late Saturday afternoon.

I agree there we as a country should search for an alternate, cheaper, source of energy. I also think that if we drilled here in the interim (i.e. until we found that reliable, cost effective alternate source of energy) it would not only boost the economy but spare us the headache in situations such as this.

Oh, and a good, gutsy win for the Utes yesterday. We are gearing up for an epic showdown in November...

Tara said...

That totally stinks. That's kind of a wake-up call as well. Everyday I take so many things for granted. You never know when things or rights are going to be taken away.

ashley said...

i think we all know how this situation can be rectified...

i won't say it... but you know its on the tip of my tongue.

ok, fine:

SEGWAYS!!!

ashley said...

oh yeah, that was david, not ashley

The Thomases said...

Holy cow, that is crazy scary!

Morgan said...

Tree hug it up lady. Love it.