Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A stroll in the park...

On MLK Day, we were invited to join the Nelsons and Lees on a hike. So, assuming we would hike up to an ocean overlook or to a cool waterfall, Sean and I jumped on board. Chad & Kimber Nelson have the "outdoorsy" in them that Sean and I yearn for, so the more of it that rubs off the better. Chad did warn us that it would be chilly up in the San Gabriel Mtns (about 1 hour from LA), so we bundled up. We had no idea what we were in store for!! It was beautifully frigid as the temperatures plummeted below freezing through our frozen journey. Somehow, Chad with his topographical skills was able to navigate through the snow up the mountain with no trail! (I think he should be the next Man vs. Wild!) Luckily, Sean and I had pulled out our warm hiking boots from our more "outdoorsy" years, but Deb Lee and her pal Leana, sadly were wearing running shoes and ankle socks, so the deep snow steps were probably quite frosty on the ankles. Speaking of ankles, did I mention that Sean had rolled his playing basketball that morning, so he was hiking injured!! Sean and I turned back and came down before the rest of the group--unfortunately, we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at a dead-end, so we had to basically sled/ski down to the path we saw in the distance. I felt like I was in a Robert Frost story as my hands went numb! But making it back was quite the accomplishment because we had managed without a map or guide. We then drove down the canyon to a little diner and had the best hot chocolate of my life! It turned out to be a whole lot of fun due to the great companionship of the Nelsons and Lees. Good memories!

2 comments:

aSHleY said...

You guys are a bunch of crazy cats. I would have turned around as well, the sledding down the mountain sounds much more fun.

Online Scheduler said...

wE ARE HAPPY TO hear tHat YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE To MAINTain your "outDOORSINESS" WHILE LIVING IN LA. sOUNDS LIKE A GREAT adventURE! cAN YOU Tell tHAT OUR KEYBOARD NEEDS TO be replaced?!?!