Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Major Disappointment...

So, I made a pact with Beth (my best friend :) to not see Confessions of A Shopaholic until we could watch it together.  We are both huge fans of the books and love the character of Rebecca Bloomwood--sadly, it is because we both can relate to her a little too well!  So, last night was the big night to go out on a girly-date, sip sodas, munch popcorn, and watch this long anticipated film....

...one word: BOOOOOOO!!!  This movie was nothing like the book--not even a little bit.  The books are so endearing because of the British charm and wit, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they used a British actress, but set the movie in New York, and made her an American!?!??!  Then to boot, they didn't stick to the story lines at all!   Instead of Becky getting into all sorts of funny situations and trying to manage her way out of them in hilarious lies and shenanigans, everything just magically worked out in cheesy fashion.  Beth and I found ourselves cringing on several occasions rather than peeing our pants due to the hysterical antics of the book's Becky.  
I would rent this one, if you really want to see it.  And if you are a fan of the books, go in with really low expectations!

5 comments:

Beth Dickson said...

Wahhhh!!! Major disapointment! Maybe we should do our own version, you can be Becky and I will be Luke!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I was really disapointed too.

Amanda said...

Awesome, I was debating whether i should read the book first or go see it... and now i'm thinking i'll get myself a copy and start, and then rent the movie!

Another book that was totally different from the movie was P.S. I Love You... but for me, the movie was just as good, but for different reasons. Books are always SO much better!

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I should havec lued in though when I read it was produced by Disney and given a PG rating. It was nothing like the book. I thought it was weird that they seemed to take some things from the first 2 books in random order. Strange and disapointing.

The Morris Fam said...

Sounds like I will have to read the book. The movie looked pretty lame, but I always have hopes for chick flicks.
Now I don't know if I can be called a hooker since I haven't learned how to actually knit, but I do want to learn. Miss you guys.